Often, after a DUI conviction, the driving license is suspended followed by the restricted driving license. Can you rent a car with a DUI?
If your driving license is restricted and you can only drive a car equipped with an ignition lock (IID) device, you will most likely not be able to rent a car until the IID restriction is lifted.
What to expect
When renting a car, you will probably need to sign a form confirming the company’s rules. Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz and Thrift once check the driving history of customers. They do this by checking the database of the Motor Vehicle Department. Please note that there is a difference between criminal records and driving records. Check the DMV website to read about the consequences of abolishing criminal records and driving records.
Factors that may prevent you from hiring a person include:
- Driving a vehicle without a license
- Driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI)
- Driving under the influence of alcohol (DWI)
- Participation in recent car accidents
- Unpaid parking tickets
However, getting a valid DUI driving license can be difficult depending on your state. It’s best to check your status with DMV for a full list of requirements. You can check the DMV website to request a copy of the registration certificate.
If your driving license is suspended, your state may require:
- Refrain from driving for some time
- Enroll in a defensive driving course or traffic school
- Get SR22 from an insurance company
- Pay the restoration fee
How can I rent a car with DUI?
Again, having a DUI in the registry will not automatically prevent you from renting a car. However, it will be more difficult to accomplish this usually simple task. There are some things you can do to increase your chances of renting a car after a DUI:
- Complete the alcohol or drug intervention program
- Complete the driver’s safety course
- Demonstrate safe driving practices
- Avoid getting tickets and license points
- Refrain from drinking alcohol or drugs before driving, and
- Wait at least two years after DUI to rent a car.
Employment of a DUI lawyer
It is important to know when and how to hire a DWI lawyer to help you. If you have recently been arrested for DUI, you should get a maintenance lawyer as soon as possible. You should preferably hire him as soon as you have been booked, processed and charged with a crime.
If you have already been charged and awaiting the date of the court, you should hire a DUI lawyer to start processing your case immediately. Your lawyer can contact the court before the date of the hearing and ask you to reduce or waive fees if the appropriate criteria can be applied to your case.
You can still get legal aid, even if the conviction is many years old and you are well. As you can see, the DUI in your documentation may haunt you long after you start living.